Date:      Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:47:46 -0800
From:      Josh Makler <spiroth10@inbox.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot get freebsd up and running...

   <=21DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC =22-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN=22> I
   first posted this on a FreeBSD help forum, where I was quickly =
   redirected here (I guess this is a serious issue...)
   I'm going to = copy/paste my post here:
   first off my hardware is:
   AMD 3800+
   1GB RAM
   NviDia 7900 GT OC gfx card
   DVDRW/CDRW drive
   ??? Hard drive with windows XP on it (came with the PC...)
   SeaGate ST340810A Hard drive as slave (This one has FreeBSD on it)
   I added on to an EMachines T6536 to get this setup... I cannot find
   any info on my motherboard at all... I think its an American
   Megatrends board though.
   OK, this problem is not a simple one to diagnose, and probably near =
   impossible to fix.
   when I began to install FreeBSD (Actually PC-BSD, but it is 100% the
   same aside from the installer pretty much...) It gave me errors about
   ACPI (which my PC here does support...) I got through the installer by
   disabling ACPI, but it doesn't work that way when I try to start it
   up.
   these errors were:

   =09
   Code:
   =09

   ACPI-0397: *** Error: = NsSearchAndEnter: Bad character in ACPI
   name:43005350
   ACPI-0397: = *** Error: looking up=5B0x430005350=5D (NON-ASCII)
   in namespace, = AE_BAD_CHARACTER
   ACPI-0204: *** Error: AcpiLoadTables: could not = load namespace:
   AE_BAD_CHARACTER
   ACPI-0213: *** Error: = AcpiLoadTables: Could not load tables:
   AE_BAD_CHARACTER
   ACPI: table = load failed: AE_BAD_CHARACTER
   MADT: ACPI Startup failed with = AE_BAD_CHARACTER

   the other errors are not so easy to describe. They move rapidly down
   the screen, and repeat over and over again until I pull the plug.
   these errors occur when I try to start the system after disabling
   ACPI:

   =09
   Code:
   =09

   these are for da0 = through da3 (I have no idea what they are at
   all...)
   all the info I = can get from them is
   that they look somewhat like this,
   although = I'm missing a lot and have no way to get the exact
   messages:
   SCSI = Status error (I have no SCSI drives=21)
   (da=23: umass = -sim:0:0:0:3)
   Not Ready csi-0,aa,55,40
   asc: 3a, 0
   there is a = -> pointing to d6 after all of them.

   Windows works fine on this PC, and I had a working linux installation
   prviously as well (although I did get some funky errors too, but it
   just ignored then and moved on without trouble...) So I'm pretty sure
   it's some sort of issue BSD is having with my PC, and not some issue
   with my processor.
   please help, I'd really like to use BSD, and I'm willing to do
   whatever I can to work through this. I Don't mean to sound like a
   newbie, and I'm not, I've used other types of Unix for years, it's
   just this is my first *real* run in with BSD, and this is a pretty new
   computer I'm using... not to mention my first encounter with those
   errors.
   This = is probably ACPI related, but as the second set of errors
   imply, even when = I disable ACPI I am still unable to start the
   system.
   thanks in = advance.

   Free Online Photosharing - = Share your photos online with your
   friends and family=21
   Visit [1]http://www.inbox.com/photosh= aring to find out more=21