Date:      Tue, 23 Jul 2002 14:33:13 +0200
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Erik_Paulsen_Sk=E5lerud?= <erik@pentadon.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org>
Subject:   (Retry) Bridging a wi-device with a LAN-adapter

Hello. I'm a little confused here.
I want to bridge my wireless card (Orinoco/Lucent Silver 11mbit) with my
LAN-adapter (fxp0).

When I read the wi(4), allmost at the end of the configuration examples it
says:

     Create a host-based wireless bridge to fxp0 (Prism only):
           Add BRIDGE to the kernel config.
           # ifconfig wi0 inet up ssid my_ap mediaopt hostap
           # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge=1
           # sysctl net.link.ether.bridge_cfg="wi0 fxp0"
           # sysctl net.inet.ip.forwarding=1
     This will give you approximately the same functionality as an access
     point.

And, when I read the bridge(4) manual page, it says:

     Bridging requires interfaces to be put in promiscuous mode, and
transmit
     packets with Ethernet source addresses.  Some interfaces (e.g.  wi(4))
do
     not support this functionality.  Also, bridging is not compatible with
     interfaces which use hardware loopback, because there is no way to tell
     locally generated packets from externally generated ones.

So. Where do I stand? Can it do bridging in FreeBSD or not? I tried to make
it work, both in FreeBSD and Windows XP (yes, I know.) without any results.

While searching on mailinglists, I see several people saying that you need a
binary firmware wich costs money so that the cards can work with bridging..
the reason would be that the manufactors of these chipsets wants to make
money on selling licenses to companies who want an AP.

I've also heard a rumour that ng_bridge(4)/netgraph can do bridging with
wi(4)-devices. Is this true?

Thanks for all help, Erik.