Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 1995 10:16:03 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mark Hittinger <bugs@ns1.win.net>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Repair floppies - what should we have? (fwd)

> Remounting of a different floppy on the same drive doesn't work, so the
> prompt would have to be given before mounting root.

On another platform that had two floppies I was able to construct a recovery
floppy pair.  One had the kernel, /dev, and enough to mount the other floppy.
The second floppy had the other goodies.

> >Anybody else got ideas? And, how do I persuade something to boot a kernel off
> >one floppy and prompt me to insert a root fs?

How about a RAM disk technique?  I've used this before on other platforms.
Everything could be loaded onto a RAM disk from multiple floppies prior to
setting root device.  Then you could play WITHOUT the slow floppy access
times.

This would also be good for making a solid backup of your root partition.

Regards,

Mark Hittinger
bugs@win.net