Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2009 14:33:12 +0200
From:      John Hay <jhay@meraka.org.za>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   strange geom interaction on 8.0?

Hi,

On our Avila (arm) boxes we use a compact flash with 2 FreeBSD partitions
made with fdisk. When we upgrade, we prepare the non active partition,
change the active bit and reboot into the new partition. This worked well
on FreeBSD 7.2-stable. But on 8.0 it does not want to work. I get
something like this:

#############################
agter:~ # fdisk -s ad0
/dev/ad0: 1966 cyl 16 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63      989793 0xa5 0x80
   2:      990864      990864 0xa5 0x00
agter:~ # echo "a 2" | fdisk -f - ad0
******* Working on device /dev/ad0 *******
fdisk: Class not found
agter:~ # fdisk -s ad0
/dev/ad0: 1966 cyl 16 hd 63 sec
Part        Start        Size Type Flags
   1:          63      989793 0xa5 0x00
   2:      990864      990864 0xa5 0x80
agter:~ # reboot
/sbin/reboot: Device not configured.
agter:~ #
#############################

Basically it looks like non of the commands that has not been executed
want to execute. Just changing the active bit back does not help.

Can it be some interaction of the geom modules that are now standard
in 8.0?

"kldstat -v | grep g_part" show these two:
                74 g_part_mbr
                73 g_part_bsd

John
--