Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:35:29 +0200
From:      Dan Partelly <dan_partelly@rdsor.ro>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: libXO-ification - Why - and is it a symptom of deeper issues?

<mailto:julian@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>=20
> Personally I would have liked it if in '91 we had followed one very =
serious suggestion,
> and implemented every user command as  a base 'library', and a tcl =
wrapper script that gave the external behaviour. then every command =
could have been made extensible to output various formats etc. by having =
an alternate tcl script  to run in that case
>> believe it is being pushed by Juniper to make it easier to make =
appliances, but I'm not sure I remember correctly.
>>I remember that there was a set of slides somewhere that give the =
justifications and thinking behind it.

Well, I would have loved if that would have come to pass. 24 years of =
potential framework development .

I guess libxo solves some corner cases very well, such as the problem of =
=E2=80=9Chow can we with the least possible effort get information from =
OS
and display it in www based GUI.

  Juniper can further help FreeBSD by donating the code of their system =
management daemon  and their fine granularity permissions system. Most =
likely  the BSDs  could reuse a component like this, given it was battle =
tested in Juniper products, even if it would need adaptation and =
re-factoring  to fit the management needs of a general purpose OS.=20

I am grateful for    =E2=80=94libxo, but I would be much more grateful =
for a something  like a management daemon and a fine granularity =
permission system.=20
That would be a substantial contribution.=20