Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 1995 07:46:16 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@knobel.gun.de>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make world on FreeBSD-stable impossible. cc1: ... signal 11

> > > Did the above control character munge happen to be on a system with
> > > a wide 2940 in it???  If so turn off wide or drop the sync negotiation
> > > rate to 5Mhz in scsi-select.  There is a bug in the 2940W sequencer code
> > > known to cause data corruption when running wide drives at this time.
> >
> > In this case it was the P90 CPU that caused that mess. I clocked it
> > down to 75 MHz, since then no trouble. 2 make worlds ran perfectly.
> >
> > My hardware: AHA 2940 (not wide), Quantum Grand Prix, ASUS P55TP4XE,
> > 256k burst cache, 32 MB 70ns,....
>  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> If you have to clock it down to work at 75MHz I highly suspect you have
> a defective cache module.  :-(  I also see 70nS memory in there, that is
> only good to 90Mhz, and it _must_ meet the 70nS t(RAC) timeing or it will
> cause problems, even 71nS is enough to cause you problems at 90Mhz, 61nS
> causes problems at 100Mhz.

Oh .... Then an additional question ... When CPU prices are falling
I want to buy one of the 133 or 150 MHz CPU's that will have additionally
a better or larger internal cache. What kind of memory would I need to
buy, when I wand to drive a 120,133 or 150 MHz CPU ????

Do I have to use EDO RAM then ???? Or do I have to slow down BIOS
settings ??? There is an auto detection area in the BIOS. Does it
automatically switch to a slower rate, if I use RAM, that is a bit
too slow ? These are things I dunno and where I don't know anything
by hearsay. Would be fine, if someone could explain that to me.

> I now use high quality life time warrantied memory in all of my systems
> because I was seeing memory related problems and after running some of it
> on a real simm tester and seeing slightly over spec T(RAC) times I decided
> it was time to do the right things.

Never heard of such a beast. What I know are memory modules, that
have parity on it. But since everybody told me, that the triton
chipset doesn't support parity checking (what seems to be true,
if I look into the BIOS) then I'd know more about this high
quality lifetime RAM.

How much $ is it more expensive compared to traditional RAM
without parity ???

> I am glad it works, I am sad about what you had to do to make it work
> as it indicates a timing related problem in some piece of hardware :-(.

Puh ... I tried everything ... FreeBSD - Linux ... installed several
times ... The very first time I had termination problems, you remember ?
I had to learn, that the Toshiba 3601 seems to have bad terminators,
I have know no problems with SCSI bus at 10MB/sec, since I put the
drive at the end of the SCSI bus ...

Puh, lot of work ... my SS2 ran more perfectly but on the other
hand much slower ;-)

Ok, now I have the multi purpose computer again for DOS, NT (which
I need for forthcoming in the company) and FreeBSD....
But seems to me now, that I'm back again in a multi failure
hardware world ;-) :-(

But I smell it, that soon I'll be through ... With your kind
help, thanks again !

	Andreas ///
--
$$ apsfilter - magic print filter 4lpd      @home : andreas@knobel.gun.de