Date:      Sat, 20 Dec 1997 15:29:20 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   PAO / FreeBSD 2.2.5 on HP OmniBook 800

Hi All,

Can somone tell me whether I stand any chance at getting FreeBSD 2.2.5-RELEASE
to work on my HP OmniBook 800 laptop?

I've looked at the PAO package - and this 'sort' of works - but fails - the
details are below...

The first problem I ran into with PAO is that unfortunately on the 800 you
can't change it's Sound systems second IRQ, which is permanently on IRQ 11.
The only way I can boot the disk is to disable the onboard sound system (to
free up the IRQ PAO needs) - though I don't mind doing this at the moment ;-)

Also, I can't get past the install part where it's detecting what's in the
PCMCIA slots...

I have a DLink NE-2000 Compatible PCMCIA card in either slot, and here's what
happens:

If I put the card in Slot 0, I get:-

"Detecting Cards..."

"Slot 0: Empty Slot"

"Slot 1: Card "D-Link(DE-650) Assigned ed0 driver."

<crash>

If I put the card in Slot 1, I get:-

"Detecing Cards..."

"Slot 1: Card "D-Link(DE-650) Assinged ed0 driver."

"Slot 2: Empty Slot"

<crash>

When the disk crashes it stays responsive on the ALT-2 debug screen, which
shows:-

DEBUG ioctl(3, TIOCCONS, NULL) = 0 (success)
Card inserted, slot 1
DEBUG: Term = cons25
ed0: addres 00:80:c8:81:88:3f, type NE2000 (16 bit)

I've also tried a Modem card - which again the system finds in either slot -
but appears to crash when looking at the other slot. I've left the machine for
10-15 minutes with either message on the screen - and it didn't get any
further...

-------

According to Windows '95 (which cohabits the same machine) the system has:-

2 x Texas Instruments PCI-1130 CardBus controllers,

One which Win'95 puts at IRQ 15, $cd000-$cdfff
Another which Win'95 puts at IRQ 10, $ce000-cefff

I've looked through your FAQ's, and have seen the TI 1130 chipset mentioned -
though I must admit I've been in a hurry to get it installed (and if it finds
the cards - which it does, I was thinking the Chipset must be supported? -
though I now have horrible fears about the words "legacy mode" ;-)

If anyone has any advice on this, or any way I can get more IRQ's to choose
from on the boot disk (though I don't mind disabling sound to run FreeBSD)
please let me know,

Regards,

Karl Pielorz