Date:      Mon, 23 Mar 2015 01:47:42 -0700
From:      Mehmet Erol Sanliturk <m.e.sanliturk@gmail.com>
To:        Gabor Pali <pgj@freebsd.org>
Cc:        George Neville-Neil <gnn@freebsd.org>, Hao Sun <sunhao2013@gmail.com>, Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Self introduciton of Hao Sun and thoughts on LibNetstat

On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 11:50 PM, Gabor Pali <pgj@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi Hao,

> > Following your guidance, I've cloned the FreeBSD mirror from GitHub and
> will get down to
> > have an initial scratch with the latest version.
>
> That is great.  I forgot to mention, but maybe it is also said on the
> introductory wiki pages you have also cited originally, that it is
> probably the best if you try to build the userland ("world") and the
> kernel on your VM and install it first.  This should give you the
> basic feel for the development cycle and help to spot problems with
> the clean system itself before you start hacking on it.  The
> development branch of FreeBSD (that is called "current") shall build
> and install just fine for most of the time, but do not be discouraged
> if not, ask for help.
>
> > On the project's wiki page [1], I think the target for GSoC
> > 2015 is to finish the tasks haven't been done in the following table.
> But according to your
> > comments in the emails, it seems like I need to start the job from
> scratch. Thus the question
> > is should I keep the existing code and add new features to the previous
> version or just start
> > the project from the very beginning?
>
> I might have sounded a bit pessimistic, I do not necessarily insist on
> rewriting the entire library :-)  I think it is just common sense:
> study the current implementation, take a look at the FreeBSD ecosystem
> and kernel, discuss the topic with the interested hackers, and work
> out your proposal based on your findings.  You may find some of the
> old code base and concepts reusable, which is excellent, and you may
> decide to take another approach for the rest.  It might be worthwhile
> to accommodate some "stretch goals" in your proposal if you
> accidentally completed your summer task too quickly :-)
>
> For making things a bit easier (hopefully) for you, I may also include
> George Neville-Neil in the conversation (see him CC'ed) who has shown
> some interest in driving this library into the base system in the past
> if I recall correctly.  Along with Robert, he is also a high-profile
> src committer, with experience in networking and related areas.  (And
> also a potential mentor for this project as well?)
>
> Cheers,
> G=C3=A1bor
>
> [1] https://wiki.freebsd.org/LibNetstat

To improve the acceptance of "Testing" concepts , another good point may be
to define a testing facility of the developed sources through use of
Jenkins during the development :

https://github.com/rodrigc/kyua/wiki/Quickstart-Guide
https://wiki.freebsd.org/Jenkins

Following the principles like defined in the following pages may be useful
( I think these are ignored grossly in many open ( I do not have any idea
about closed ) source projects ) :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_development_process

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Requirements_analysis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_design
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_construction
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debugging
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_deployment
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_maintenance

Following the above steps and producing reports by considering them , will
make the generated software much more easily maintainable by several people
and over time even by the initial developer .

Thank you very much .

Mehmet Erol Sanliturk