Date:      Thu, 6 May 1999 09:00:02 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@rush.net>
Cc:        Peter Brezny <peter@shorthair.purplecat.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /etc/passwd

On Wednesday,  5 May 1999 at 14:24:54 -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> On Wed, 5 May 1999, Peter Brezny wrote:
>
>> why when i make changes to /etc/passwd using pico, things visibly change,
>> but changing someone's shell from nologin to bash seems to make no
>> functional changes.
>>
>> i've been clued into using vipw, however, isn't there a way to edit this
>> file functionally using any old text editor?
>
> vipw is just a wrapper for editing the password file, you can
> just do this:
>
> export EDITOR="pico -w"
>
> then run vipw.

You can also write

 # EDITOR=emacs vipw

> btw, i _strongly_ encourage you to learn vi, pico just doesn't cut
> it and can cause problems when you edit files with strict whitespace
> guidlines (like /etc/passwd).

Right.  That's why I used a different editor in my example :-)

I think the real point that everybody has missed here is that vipw
doesn't edit /etc/passwd, it edits /etc/master.passwd and then runs a
database build program which actually does the update.  /etc/passwd is
only for old-style programs which read information from it; that's why
editing it doesn't have any effect.

Greg