Date:      Sun, 24 Sep 2000 21:07:15 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Michael Allman <msa@dinosauricon.com>
To:        Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, BSD <bsd@shell-server.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Constant panics on 4.1-STABLE!

On Sun, 24 Sep 2000, Matt Dillon wrote:

> :: > 132		/*
> :: > 133		 * Look up the address in the table for that Address Family
> :: > 134		 */
> :: > 135		if (rnh && (rn = rnh->rnh_matchaddr((caddr_t)dst, rnh)) &&
> :: > 136		    ((rn->rn_flags & RNF_ROOT) == 0)) {
> ::
> :: 	C doesn't guarantee order of execution in if ( bleh && bleh &&
> :: bleh).  It may very well evaluate it backwards, or from the inside out if
> :: it wants.  No?
> :
> :No.  That's not right.  It evaluates left to right.  rnh is checked
> :for null, then matchaddr is called and then rn->rn_flags is checked.
> :
> :Warner
>
>     Yah.  C definitely guarentees the order of execution for && and ||.  The
>     moment a clause fails for an &&, the rest of the expression is skipped.
>     The moment a clause succeeds for an ||, the rest of the expression is skipped.

I have had three more panics in the last two hours.  I didn't get a crash
dump on the first two (keyboard stuff again), but I got one on the last.
I am omitting a stack trace because it looks the same as the others.  I am
still not certain whether it's a hardware problem or a FreeBSD problem.
At any rate, I am about to plunk down a wad of cash (metaphorically
speaking) for some new RAM.  If anyone has had any insight into this
problem, please let me know.

Thanks,

Michael