Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 1995 16:27:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      jfieber@cs.smith.edu (John Fieber)
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Doc project guidance, was Re: Dialup how-to

Sean Kelly writes:
> I'm supposedly on the doc team (according to an email message from
> Jordan some month(s) ago), but I had no idea linuxdoc was to be the
> common source format.  Heck, I didn't even realize there was a
> freebsd-doc list until a few weeks ago!

Welcome!  Late is better than never!

> We need up writers' resource repository, perhaps on the web, including
> the style sheet, linuxdoc (sources or perhaps packaged up for
> pkg_add), plus working versions of our docs for testing, browsing,
> etc.

Take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/How/faq-new.  It is a start
at such a resource but has become a bit stale.  :(

I can put a link to the linuxdoc toolkit and sgmls in that page.

Ultimately, the FAQ and tutorials are bound for the current
source tree (/usr/src/share/FAQ in particular).  The idea is that
the documents in the SGML directory are the "masters" that the
documents in the other directories will be generated from.  The
conversion to latex works well.  The conversion to HTML has some
rough edges but works.  The conversion to ASCII has some rough
edges that a groff wizard may be able to fix (and I am *not* a
groff wizard!).  The FAQ/tutorial pages in the WWW server come
(almost) directly from the main source tree.

The trouble with this scheme is that the conversions depend on
tools that are not even in the ports collection.

Anybody with contributions, either in the form of new tutorials,
or old tutorials converted to SGML should contact me about
getting them in the tree.

-john