Date:      Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:02:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Huff <rhuff@cybercom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   retrieving email

Srinivasan Iyengar writes:

>  I got my ppp to work and am able to send mail using sendmail. But
>  the 'fetchmail' command does not seem to get recognized by
>  ppp. Is there something I need to do in order to retreive email
>  from my account at msn.com, before I use the
>
>  !bg ...... fetchmail
>
>  in the ppp.linkup file? Is there some daemon that needs to be
>  started?

	Welcome to the club.  While I run fetchmail from somewhere
else, I've pretty much conlcuded the "!bg" function is broken.  I've
tried running a number things using it and get at most an
intermittant 20% success rate.  And I'm talking simple stuff here;
don't get me started on the complex scripts with device contention
issues.

			Robert Huff