Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:50:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Rolf Neugebauer <neugebar@dcs.gla.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bits mixups (Was: Re: Vinum status)

Rolf Neugebauer writes:

 > taso actually is a linker option, ie independent of the compiler.

Ah, yes.  I was actually thinking of this (Tru64) option:

  -xtaso_short
      Directs the compiler to allocate 32-bit pointers by default.  You can
      still use 64-bit pointers, but only by the use of pragmas.  The
      -xtaso_short option also implies -xtaso; that is, -xtaso_short also
      causes the compiler to respect the pointer_size pragmas.

      The use of the -xtaso_short option can cause conflicts between the
      compiler's assumptions about pointer sizes and data layouts and the
      default values that were in effect when the system libraries were
      created.  See protect_headers_setup(8) for details on how to avoid this
      conflict.

 > There is also a version of the GNU ld which implements this flag. IIRC
 > this is not (yet?) part of the standard binutils distro, but is in a
 > separate Linux branch. I once installed it on an Alpha/Linux box but
 > can't remember were I downloaded it from :(

Oh, That's interesting.  I thought the Linux people were fundamentally
opposed to this.

Drew