Date:      Wed, 14 Jun 2006 11:34:04 +0100
From:      Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52@dial.pipex.com>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: top

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

>On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 03:40:02 -0500, "Nikolas Britton" <nikolas.britton@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>What do all these things mean, they are from the STATE column in top?:
>>

>The lowercase names are the names of sleep-events on
>which a process is blocked.

A few of these I think I have figured out over the years but pinch of
salt please, not a lernel hacker:

>>bo_wwa
>>biowr

writing to disk.  Other devices too, probably.

>>*proce
>>getblk

reading from disk.  Other devices too probably.

>>RUN
>>select

waiting for data to arrive on a socket.  See man select.

>>drainv
>>

>>*Giant
>>nanslp

sleeping.  see man 3 sleep

>>pause

Waiting for signal, I believe.  See man 3 pause.

>>wait

Waiting for children.  See man 2 wait.

>>kserel
>>ttyin

reading from a tty.

You missed "piperd" == reading from a pipe.

"lockf" = locked file. See man lockf.

Those have got me through most common situations where I want to know
what's going on.  kserel is the only common one I have no clue about.

--Alex