Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 1995 10:33:16 -0500
From:      Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
To:        Robert N Watson <rnw+@andrew.cmu.edu>, freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslogd/syslog.conf -- local0.notice routing

The syslogd.conf man page says you should use the 'facility' rather than
'program', if you can. To do what you want, add 'local0.none' to the line
that contains '*.notice' and '/var/log/messages', and any other '*.notice'
lines that you want to disable. Then add a line with 'local0.* /var/log/popper'.

At 11:47 PM 10/2/95 -0400, Robert N Watson wrote:
>I'd like to route my popper logging somewhere other than
>/var/log/messages, and don't have much experience with pursuading
>syslogd not to log things ;).  I'd like all of my normal .notice
>messages to go where they normally go (messages, etc), but I'd like
>local0.notice (the popper messages) to go only to /var/log/popper, and
>no where else.  From the syslog.conf man page, I could glean something
>about a
>
>!prog
>*.*				/var/..
>
>wherein a specific program is referenced -- is this program the program
>that sends the message to syslog, or is it just a marker that could
>really be anything?  I'd guess from the man page that
>
>!popper
>*.*			/var/log/popper
>
>would route popper messages only to there, but it's hard to tell without
>a nice big example file.  Help soon would be appreciated, as while my
>/var is a large partition, it makes log interpretation a pain, even with
>grep-v ;)

Randy Berndt <rberndt@nething.com>
AOS/VS, FreeBSD, DOS:
I'm caught in a maze of twisty little command interpreters, all different.