Date:      Wed, 29 May 1996 20:22:41 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Robert Nordier <rnordier@iafrica.com>
To:        thorpej@nas.nasa.gov
Cc:        coredump@nervosa.com, proff@suburbia.net, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Indentation styles

Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 29 May 1996 04:17:32 -0700 (PDT)
>  "Chris J. Layne" <coredump@nervosa.com> wrote:
>
>  > I would be against this sort of thing. Am the only one here who doesn't
>  > like their code being hammered into someone else's style?
>
> If companies have coding style standards, why shouldn't a free OS project
> have the same?  NetBSD, from time to time, makes KNF'ing runs through the
> kernel.  It's a Good Thing, in the long run, to have the code look
> consistent.  /usr/share/misc/style is your friend.

(Moved to chat.)

Companies have coding style standards largely because they pay people to
put up with them.  _Maybe_ a free OS project shouldn't have the same
because it doesn't necessarily do to treat volunteers like the hired help.

I agree standards are a Good Thing, but possibly FreeBSD should rather
promote stylistic diversity in the virtual workplace. :)   Mostly it should
depend on how everyone feels....

--
Robert Nordier