Date:      21 Aug 2002 21:08:07 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   HEADS UP: New GNOME/GTK porting guide

--=-n4Stsyo5nD+V/xTmnIgn

Since we now have two production versions of GTK and GNOME, there was a
need to change the way GTK and GNOME ports specified dependencies.  This
new infrastructure is called GNOMENG.  The GNOME porting guide has been
updated with instructions on how to make use of GNOMENG in your ports. =20

If you maintain a GNOME/GTK/esound/imlib port, it is encouraged that you
read through the guide and the ${PORTSDIR}/Mk/bsd.gnomeng.mk source and
comments to familiarize yourself with the new infrastructure.  The old
way of porting GNOME and GTK apps is now deprecated, but will still work
for the foreseeable future.  However, in order to make your ports safe
for both GNOME 1 and GNOME 2 users, GNOMENG is the only way to go.

The porting guide can be found at
http://www.freebsd.org/gnome/docs/porting.html.  If you're interested in
helping out with the conversion, we need people to take ports owned by
ports@, and convert them to the new infrastructure.  Comments and
suggestions are welcome.  Thanks.

Joe

--=-n4Stsyo5nD+V/xTmnIgn