Date:      Tue, 10 Apr 2007 00:09:27 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mike Wolman <mike@nux.co.uk>
To:        Eric Anderson <anderson@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: some thoughts about gmirror

>> Hi,
>>
>> Currently I am using gmirror and ggated to run a live network mirror.
>> Obviously this can cause problems if the server exporting the 'backup'
>> device is offline then the mirror is broken - when the machines reconnect a
>> full mirror sync takes place.  This is fine over gbit crossover and if the
>> size of the mirror is only a few 100Gb.
>

> Personally, I think this would be a very useful feature.  This is sort of
> like snapshots for GEOM, which would be useful in other ways too. GEOM
> journaling, GEOM snapshots, and this lazy mirroring are all somewhat similar
> it seems.
>
> Are you proposing to write such a feature?  Even if you can't code it,
> writing up the design/specs might help someone actually implement it.
>

> Eric

My initial thoughts were for fast recovery from a non failed mirror device
but realised it could be used for many other things from mobile users to
remote asyncs.  I had not thought of using it for snapshots but i can see
where your coming from - by simply keeping the changes you could rewind
to any point in time without having to actually create a snapshot(s)
beforehand.

I only wish my os/file system/geom knowledge was up to even specifying
this, let alone my complete lack of c programming ability.

However I can try to put together a specification from a system admins
perspective if that is of any help?

And of course i would be more than willing to test test test.

Mike.