Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 23:38:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current.freebsd.org (FTP)

On Wed, 1 Mar 2000, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> Yes we do, unlike the US from time to time. Remember FreeBSD Con?
> We lost water for 2 days in a row. And at least _we_
> discovered that it is good idea to have a lot of your electricity
> undergroud so a small wind will not render whole neighboorhoods
> without power ;-)))

Apparently Melbourne, Australia, has been having huge power problems
recently - one of the state generator stations went down, and so they had
to enforce power blackouts several days per week to cope with the fact
that they just didn't have enough spare juice in the grid (can you say
'redundant backup'?). This is at the height of the australian summer, too
:-(

[ I heard the above second-hand from my family who live in adelaide, so
apologies if it's not quite correct ]

Kris

----