Date:      Thu, 18 Oct 2012 16:10:01 GMT
From:      Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-amd64@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: amd64/172854: 9.0R doesn't recognize HDD on intel C602 chipset

The following reply was made to PR amd64/172854; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jim Harris <jimharris@freebsd.org>
To: Rostyslav Sambuk-Nagornyi <diversant2@mail.ru>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2012 09:05:24 -0700

 On Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 6:53 AM, Rostyslav Sambuk-Nagornyi
 <diversant2@mail.ru> wrote:

 >>Number:         172854
 >>Category:       amd64
 >>Synopsis:       9.0R doesn't recognize HDD on intel C602 chipset
 >>Confidential:   no
 >>Severity:       non-critical
 > When trying to install FreeBSD 9.0 Release on m/b with intel C602 "Pattsb=
 urg" chipset getting an error - HDD doesn't recognized in any mode. Doesn't=
  matter if AHCI or RAID. Upgrade from 8.3 via freebsd-update also don't wor=
 ks - system hangs after first reboot.
 >>How-To-Repeat:
 > Just try to run installation or upgrade
 >>Fix:
 > Rollback to 8.3 Release
 >
 >>Release-Note:
 >>Audit-Trail:
 >>Unformatted:

 Intel C60x chipsets have 2 disk controllers - the SATA controller
 (which most people are familiar with), and an integrated SAS
 controller.  The isci(4) driver for the SAS controller was added to
 FreeBSD in January - too late for 9.0, but did make it into 8.3 and
 will be in 9.1.  My guess is the HDD in question is attached to the
 SAS controller, and not the SATA controller.  I know that SuperMicro
 systems ship with the front disk slots connected to the SAS
 controller.

 On 8.3, can you run "camcontrol devlist -v" and check whether the disk
 in question is on an isciX or ahcichX bus?

 Thanks,

 -Jim