Date:      Wed, 03 Oct 2001 14:04:23 +0300
From:      ANdrei <andrei@abc.ro>
To:        rik@rikrose.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: last

rik@rikrose.net wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, ANdrei wrote:
> > it wasn't for sure me :), but i just had my firewall down for a few
> > mins, and then it happened... was this just a coincidence?
>
> It could have been a power cut, or even a brown out, or someone else while
> you were working on the firewall :)

nope, in that case you don't get that log entry from last (i'm almost
sure about that) and your file-systems get checked at startup for sure,
and mine didn't... it was a clkean shutdown... plus there was no power
cut, because we have about 40 computers in the company, and none
rebooted except mine...

I'm so suspicious because I had a few times people trying to hack me,
and 2 times they were real profis, and i believe they got through this
time and left almost no evidence of their passing...

> > and smtg else: what ports and protocol are used when accesing a samba
> > share? i'm talking about a broadcast network, where people should be
> > able to access public shares from other computers, which have
> > firewalls...
>
> 137-140 roughly, depending on what version of Windows you're using. I
> noticed 2000 has lots more useless ports open than any of the others,
> by default, sometimes including qotd, although I've not found the setting
> to control it. Some machines it's on, some it's not. I don't know why,
> but then I understand so little of MicroSofts products...

I understand little about M$ too :)  I found out i have an error in my
configuration of samba, or something like that, the ports i knew were
good: 135, 137, 138 and 139

maybe anybody has other ideas about the weird TILDA ~ in the
"last"-output, and what/who it was...

> --
> PGP Key: D2729A3F - Keyserver: wwwkeys.uk.pgp.net - rich at rdrose dot org
> Key fingerprint = 5EB1 4C63 9FAD D87B 854C  3DED 1408 ED77 D272 9A3F
> Public key also encoded with outguess on http://rikrose.net

"I live in my own little world - but it's ok, they know me here!"