Date:      Fri, 17 May 1996 08:16:13 -0500
From:      Jim Lowe <james@miller.cs.uwm.edu>
To:        hasty@rah.star-gate.com, kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mbone w/o mbone connection

> > > Actually, if he has mbone capability at his site then I don't see why
> > > he can't establish a tunnel to his home box....
> >
> > This seems evident. Jims suggestion can be thought to be an
> > alternative to bypass the MBONE structure.
> >

> Now I see things like vgw useful to connect end-leaf nodes like from
> an ISP to a (cough) Win95 box or to a (Amancio about to pass out now)
> to a Win95 Lan...

Actually, I could see vgw very useful for things like ISDN or 28.8k links.
One could grab PCM RTP packets and convert them to gsm or lpc rtp packets
in the gateway and send them down a slower speed link (abit degraded, but
still understandable).  One could also nab video RTP packets at 128k and
lower the frame/bit rate via vgw and send them down a slower speed pipe.

Having something like a remote control vgw/sdr could be very useful to the
end user.  They could just pick out what they wanted to watch and listen
to, modify the a/v through a rtp filter mechanism and have it sent
down their slow speed link.  This would leave the degradation of a/v
decision up to the end user rather than up to the network (as packet loss).
Certainly very useful for many things.

	-Jim