Date:      Sun, 7 May 2000 10:38:58 -0700
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: rc.d startup scripts

First off this should have NEVER have been posted to -CURRENT, this is a
*PORTS* issue.  What were you thinking that made you cross-post it??

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 03:57:49PM -0400, Will Andrews wrote:
> I've noticed an inconsistency among our ports. It seems that not every port
> that installs rc.d startup scripts includes methods to not only startup,
> but also shutdown and/or restart, where appropriate. (Sent to -ports for
> ports hackers' opinions.)

Yes they should be changed.  Problem is finding someone with the time.
And then once done, they need to document the standard in the Handbook,
else the next new port with an RC script will be not to our standard.

I don't care about the SVR4 bullcrap arguments -- the "start", "stop",
"status", "restart" targets of RedSnot's RC scripts makes me drool.
Please do add these targets (with no argument defaulting to "start").
Doing this has been on my todo list for a while.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com)