Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2001 01:00:25 -0400
From:      Brian T.Schellenberger <bts@babbleon.org>
To:        David Strait <basilisk@umail.ucsb.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP going nuts?

David Strait wrote:
> >I'm having a problem with my dhclient, or, for the most part, setting up
> > my internet numbers.  The problem follows an unusual pattern.
>
> [...]
>
> >My number is xxx.yyy.zzz.173

"Your" number?  Assigned by whom?

> >On FreeBSD, my dhclient gets this address:
> >xxx.yyy.zzz.172

If you use dhclient, then whatever it assigns you is supposed to be your
number for that session; if you use DHCP then you don't *have* a static
address, so you shouldn't have hardcoded assumptions that you do.  Rather,
your code should dynamically use the one that session was assigned.

Here's one way to do it in a script:

set ipaddr = `ifconfig fxp0 | grep inet | tr '\t' ' ' | sed -e 's/^.*inet //'

I'm sure there are lots of other ways to do this as well.