Date:      Fri, 9 Jul 1999 08:31:59 +1200
From:      "Dan Langille" <junkmale@xtra.co.nz>
To:        "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Time sync

On 8 Jul 99, at 10:39, Steve Friedrich wrote:

> I've been messing with this for a couple days and have read the man
> pages for xntpd, ntpdate, timed, etc. to no avail.

Have you read

	http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/xntpd.htm

> I want to know the "best" method to use to sync my 486 box via the
> Internet, and I want it to act as a time server to my local machines. I
> have been using ntpdate manually on occasion to sync time from
> otc1.psu.edu.  But I don't know how to make the box a time server for my
> local net.  I've tried xntpd, but then it takes the port and prevents
> ntpdate from running.  And I still couldn't get it to serve time to a
> local FreeBSD box running 3.2.

As someone said, don't run both.  xntpd will be enough.

> This is just a home network and time isn't critical, but I want to sync
> time from the Net, maybe once a day or once a week, but serve time to
> local machines any time they request it.

If you are running ppp with dial on demand, xntpd might cause unwanted
dialings.  If that's the case, I'm told modifyin the filter will fix this.

	http://www.freebsddiary.org/freebsd/pppfilters.htm
--
Dan Langille - DVL Software Limited
The FreeBSD Diary     - http://www.FreeBSDDiary.org/freebsd/