Date:      Wed, 15 Feb 2006 23:52:40 -0500
From:      Bob Perry <rperry@gti.net>
To:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org, scottro@nyc.rr.com
Subject:   Unable to Startx Following Upgrade--Error in, Locking Authority File

Looks like I may have overlooked the original response or just never
received it since I just joined the mailing list tonight.

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 09:41:15PM -0500, Bob Perry wrote:
 > Following upgrade of xorg to version 6.9.0, I have been unable to
start my
 > gnome session.  Following reflects my attempts to resolve via
messages to other
 > mailing lists.
 >
 > My .xinitrc file reads:
 > /usr/X11R6/bin/gnome-session
 >
 > times is the following:
 >    /usr/X11R6/bin/xauth:  error in locking authority file
 > /home/rperry/.Xauthority
 > (skip)
 >    error opening security policy file
 > /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xserver/SecurityPolicy
 >    AUDIT: Sat Jan 28...8433 X: client 1 rejected from local host
 >    Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
 >    Xlib: No protocol specified
 >
 > I have no problem running startx as root.

I had a similar problem, although in my case, I suspect it's due to some
cheap hardware.

At any rate, before starting X try

xauth -b quit

This will break any locks.  (If your problem has similar causes as mine
did, there will be an .Xauthority, and a couple of others--.Xauthority-c
and .Xauthority-l, if I remember correctly.)

Your description sounds as if it is similar, so perhaps this solution
will help.

- --

Scott Robbins

Hi Scott,
I ran the command, xauth -b quit, but no change.  You are correct
however, in that two files, .Xauthority-c and .Xauthority-l, were
present.  Now only .Xauthority remains.

Not sure what my next steps are.

Bob