Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 1995 17:00:48 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        paul@netcraft.co.uk
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD-current-stable ???

> I also disagree with Poul's suggestion that people go hack user-land
> code in 2.1 for 2 reasons.
>
> 1) You'd have to be pretty selective in what you did for it to
> seamlessly drop into -current since all sorts of fundamental things
> can change in -current, like header files, mk files, malloc, sysctl
> :-) etc. It's not really a good idea to tell people to go and work
> in 2.1 and really is just a cop out from addressing the real problem
> which is that -current is being hacked without any clear focus as to
> where it's headed.

>I< don't know of any interface changes yet between 2.1 and 2.2 There
is no change in sysctl(3) there is no change to malloc.  I would
argue that you missed your shot, unless you can show me a piece of
code that needs an ifdef for "post-2.1"

> 2) It's *IMPORTANT* to have people actually running -current even if they're
> not actively developing. If only a tiny number of active developers are
> hacking -current then we'll never have enough of an user base for that
> branch to find all the bugs that crop up from diverse use.

Now this is true, but it doesn't mean that people should hack around
in their kernels, does it ?

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.