Date:      Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:54:49 +0300
From:      Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Paul Saab <paul@mu.org>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs v2

In message <20000928004901.J7553@fw.wintelcom.net>you write:
}* Danny Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il> [000927 23:36] wrote:
}> hi,
}> 	with 4.1: there seems to be a problem with nfs2 mounts to
}> non freebsd hosts:
}> mainly, the special files - eg /dev/null - show up as something like
}> 	0 crw-r--r--  1 root  wheel    0, 0x00200002 Sep 28 09:29 /mnt/tmp/null
}>
}> it's ok if the exporting os is freebsd, but so far: netapp, procom, bsdi
}> all show up to freebsd as 0, 0x00200002! btw, the problem is not with ls,
}>
}> loo> date >  /mnt/tmp/null
}> /mnt/tmp/null: Device not configured.
}> loo>
}>
}>
}> needless to say, this is screwing up my diskless project.
}
}I'm pretty sure that device major/minor are not same across different
}systems.
}
}I would use an MFS or a vn device created from a FreeBSD UFS over NFS.
}

the client is FreeBSD, the mknod was done using FreeBSD, the NFS-server
if:
	is FreeBSD	then all is fine.
	if not:		all is 'almost' fine except for the special files.

im pretty sure about the almost, since the diskless is 'almost' working
as long as /dev/ is not used :-).