Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 1995 13:15:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Michael Nelson <nelson@seahunt.imat.com>
To:        james@hermes.cybernetics.net (James Robinson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Discouraged...

James Robinson wrote:

> One would think that such a high caliber computer professional would
> approach a volenteer group with a little less of an inflammatory
> attitude. Remember -- no one made you do this, an nothing makes us
> want to help aside from our good nature. You did not purchase a product
> from the FreeBSD team (whom I do not represent -- I am just a happy
> user).

	I understand that.  I guess I'm just saying that I'm very
disappointed in the way FreeBSD is working on _my_ machine.  I certainly
don't mean to condemn anyone involved in the project.

> > Machine: 	AMI 486/33
> > Ram:		16MB
> > SCSI:		2 ea CDC 320MB drives on an Adaptec AHA-1740
> > 			1 ea Archive Viper 150 Tape
> > 			1 ea Toshiba 3101 CDROM
> > Ethernet:		WD (SMC) 8013
> > Video:		ATI Graphics Ultra
>
> DX or SX chip?

	DX... intel

> What speed -- 16 cps ? Are you saying that you get 1.5K/s from your
> FreeBSD machine to other machines in the real world, but really
> slow ones to freefall.cdrom.com?

	Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying.  For example, I tried to sup
again today.  It took an HOUR to get these three files:

-rw-r--r--   1 root  wheel  3425 Sep 11 00:53 COPYRIGHT
-rw-r--r--   1 root  bin    9729 Jan 24 19:00 Makefile
-rw-r--r--   1 root  bin    5843 Jan 29 01:00 TODO

	...then I aborted it again.

> Or do you get 1.5K/s from a peer Linux machine to the real world?

	That's also true.

> Can you capture some documentary output describing your situation, as
> well as your network setup?

	Sure... but what information do you want to see?  Traceroutes?
Pings? Tcpdumps?  Let me know and I'll provide them.

> Ok -- what is acting as the gateway machine?

	A Compaq i386/20DX with 13MB of RAM, running Linux and Dip.  It's
a dedicated slip machine with nothing else going on on it.

> What does the FreeBSD box's routing table look like?

	I don't know what I need to do to get you that information.  Can
you tell me what you need for me to do?  I plead "dummy" on this one.

> Do you get good pure ethernet transfer times?

	Same as above...  ftps to other sites work fine, though.

> Do you have a math co-processor? Sounds like a math emulation problem --
> try configuring a kernel with the
> options	GPL_MATH_EMULATE
>
> as opposed to
> options MATH_EMULATE