Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 20:06:58 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recomended ISA SCSI Cards

"Gregory P. Smith" writes:

> Real recommendation: get a PCI motherboard, they're cheap.

Seconded. A new Adaptec 1542 will demand about $125, used at $50 to
$75. A new Symbios '810 PCI SCSI card is about $60. If your MB is old
enough that it only has ISA then purchasing another ISA SCSI card is
throwing good money after bad. Even if its only to drive a single Zip
drive.

Quality Asus MB's can be had for $140. Haven't been shopping so I only
recal a price I saw at a recent "computer show".

There was no mention as to what other SCSI devices were on the MB? Years
ago I had a 486/33 that started acting funny with NE2100 ethernet cards
(bus master, and picky at that). Put a cheap NE2000 in it when I added a
1542 as the NE2100 wouldn't tolerate another bus master. About 6 months
later had to pull the 1542 also because the MB simply would no longer do
bus mastering reliably. Initially thought it was my HD's, but they
worked perfectly in another machine with the same 1542. Tried 3
different 1542's, all worked in other systems before and after the
experiment. MB has been happily crunching along the past couple of
years. Happily as long as it doesn't have a bus master ISA card in it.

So while you are swearing at the 1542, it might not be the 1542 at all.