Date:      Wed, 15 Sep 1999 18:58:48 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spidey <beaupran@jsp.umontreal.ca>
To:        Jonathan Chen <jonc@logisticsoftware.co.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird delays with XDM

That would be something else, because the .xsession is not executed
before the delay.

It is within the initialization of the xdm itself that there is a
problem.

What could it be looking up? What address?

That has always been a security worry for me. Is there some way to
forbid XDM to connect or to listen to connections? I hate when it does
that... :))

Hey! Thinking of it!!!

I just recently tried the sysctl 'log_in_vain'. I had all sorts of
connections attempts from 127.0.0.1:<whateverPort> to
127.0.0.1:<whateverPort>. I was so worried and busy that I turned it
off and forgot about it.

Could that be it? Why should xdm probe all port on the local
machine???????

This is weird.

Ants

--- Big Brother told Jonathan Chen to write, at 10:17 of September 16:

--
Si l'image donne l'illusion de savoir
C'est que l'adage pretend que pour croire,

Lofofora