Date:      Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:44:49 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        langfod@maui.net (David Langford)
Cc:        groudier@club-internet.fr (Gerard Roudier), scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Are SIIG SCSI Cards Supported?

[ I don't know whether the mail from Gerard Roudier was private or not, I
didn't see it on the -scsi list... ]

David Langford wrote...
> >It seems to me that the FreeBSD-CAM method has killed most of the SCSI
> >drivers in FreeBSD except the aic7xxx one.
> >The killed drivers have now to resurrect.

I don't think I would characterize it quite like that.  These are the
controllers that were supported before that are no longer supported:

- Adaptec AIC 6360/6260 (aic)
- Seagate ST01, Future domain 8xx/950 (sea)
- Ultrastor controllers (uha)
- WD7000 (wds)
- Pro Audio Spectrum (nca) (NCR5380/NCR53400)

We still support the following controllers that were supported under the
old SCSI layer:

- Adaptec 7xxx (ahc) (more Adaptec controllers are supported now than under
  the old SCSI layer)
- Adaptec 154x (aha)
- Adaptec 174x (ahb)
- Symbios 53c8xx (ncr)
- QLogic (isp)
- DPT SmartRAID/CACHE III and IV (dpt)
- AMD 53c974 (amd)
- BusLogic Multimaster (bt)
- NEC PC98 SCSI controller (bs) (I don't know the actual part or board name)
- Iomega parallel port zip drives (vpo)

We also support some new boards and drivers:

- Advansys boards (adv)
- Advansys wide boards (adw)
- USB Mass storage controllers (umass)

And then there are the two new Initio drivers that will probably get into
the tree at some point.

Of the controllers that are now unsupported, the only one people really
seem to care about is the Adaptec 6360 (aic) driver.  There was someone
working on it, but we haven't seen anything yet.  Lately some folks have
made some noise about the ST01 driver, and who knows, something may come of
it.  Warner Losh has talked about doing the Ultrastor driver, but he's got
lots of other more important stuff on his plate at the moment.

So I think that overall, we're doing pretty well in the driver department.
And, as Justin and I have explained before, the CAM integration probably
never would have happened if we hadn't given up support for a few cards.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com