Date:      Wed, 03 Mar 1999 16:43:49 -0800
From:      GVB <gvb@tns.net>
To:        jef53313@bayou.uh.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: compat_2_2

At 06:29 PM 3/3/99 -0600, you wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Mar 1999, GVB wrote:

>and on

>> >According to some literature I have read, the FreeBSD crypt is a different
>> >format (perhaps this is just from Linux) with the seed in positions four
>> >and five.  The old passwords from the application to which I have been
>> >referring were in the correct form ($1$) but the old a.out executable
>> >began reading passwords expecting the seed in positions 1 and 2.
>> >Recompiling that app to elf solved that problem, and the old passwords
>> >started working again.  What I am trying to say from all this is that
>> >perhaps, if the upgrade was not performed correctly, something could be
>> >causing login to look for the seed in positions 1 and 2 as opposed to 4
>> >and 5.
>>
>> Ok, but how come when I boot single user, run the passwd command, it
>> recompiles the pw database and I can login fine after that?
>>
>> GVB
>>

>Compare a working password entry and a nonworking one in
>/etc/master.passwd.  They should both be the same format.  If one of them
>is a different format then there is some kind of problem.  If you have
>always used the standard MD5 then the old passwords should be $1$.  If the
>working password does not have this then my guess is that login and passwd
>are not working properly.  My suggestion would be to make world and see if
>things come out right afterward.  Of course, you can always seek a second
>opinion. :)

Ok, I just took a look and the passwords that work are the $1$ ones... the
only user with that style passwd in master.passwd is root because I booted
into single user and changed the password with the passwd command and now I
can login.. all the old passwords from the 2.2.8 machine dont work. All I
did was a standard upgrade from 2.2.8 to 3.1.  My machines that were 3.0
that went to 3.1 all had the passwords WITHOUT the $1$ and they all
upgraded fine.  Any ideas?

GVB