Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 16:53:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        dburr@POBoxes.com (Donald Burr)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ext2fs and FreeBSD

> I need a way of exchanging large amounts of data between Linux and
> FreeBSD, that does NOT involve a network.  I have Jaz drives on both
> machines, so that seemed like the perfect solution.  Unfortunately,
> Linux's UFS support is lame (besides, it's read-only), and since I need
> long filenames (and FreeBSD does not support Win95, aka VFAT), that option
> is out as well.
>
> Browsing through my kernel config file (based on LINT), I notice there is
> an option for "EXT2FS"... Aha!  This sounds like just the thing.  So I
> compiled a kernel with it, formatted a Jaz cartridge and mke2fs'd it on my
> Linux box, and mounted it on my FreeBSD machine.  So far so good...
>
> But I have a question: How "stable" is the e2fs support?  Is it buggy, has
> it crashed, etc?

It isn't super (UFS) stable, but generally works, and there is a pending commit
for a bug that keeps the filesystems from being properly unmounted while an EXT2FS
filesystem is mounted.  The most important thing is to unmount your EXT2FS
filesystem before rebooting.

> Also, there is no "fsck" program for ext2, and the standard /sbin/fsck
> doesn't know about ext2fs... Is there one for FreeBSD I should grab and
> compile, or can I use the Linux "e2fsck" binary? (I have linux binary
> support enabled)

The Linux one ports pretty easily.  FreeBSD doesn't support the raw device
size ioctl, so the ext2fsck needs to be slightly modified.

Sorry that I haven't gotten to it, and it hasn't been an extremely high
priority...  But, for transient copying of file structures, etc it works fine.
I have even run Linux binaries from a mounted Linux root filesystem -- but again
I would'nt use it in a critical production ISP situation or the like.

I'll leave a copy of the e2fs tools (essentially the same as the
Linux ones on ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/incoming/e2.cpio.gz )  They
are incomplete, and might not work (I have no EXT2FS partitions to play
with right now.)  It'll take a few hours before it will appear.

John