Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 2023 04:01:23 -0800
From:      list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com
To:        "Dan Mahoney (Ports)" <freebsd@gushi.org>, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Another morning lost to bad ports choices (perl upgrade, plus postgres)

On 2023-10-24 15:12, Dan Mahoney (Ports) wrote:
> Yes, I know that I should be ready to upgrade to 15 at some point, on
> whatever quarterly port boundary it's decided, "I guess that's when",
> with no advance notice, via the full stupid dump-and-restore
> process.

I know it's too late now, but run postgresql-server in its own jail.
Among other administrative advantages, it splits the postgresql-client
dependency tree so you don't have to upgrade your database server every
time the Ports Tree bumps PGSQL_DEFAULT.  PostgreSQL clients tend to
have excellent backward compatibility, so as a rule the server just
needs to be a supported version.