Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 2005 21:19:58 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSH login takes very long time...sometimes

On Friday 23 December 2005 20:26, James Tanis wrote:
> What reason is that? A reverse-lookup is no longer really a valid way
> of filtering out the undesireable unless your lucky enough to be
> dealing only with those who have the knowledge and ability to control
> those entries. Most residential ips either have no reverse-lookup or

I guess you are wrong

you can fake your IP and you can fake your hostname, but exactly for securi=
ty=20
reasons, since we believe that beeing a a network admin is not because of=20
luck but knowledge, and we also believe that this person has a certain=20
responsibility and so he will probably not set up false dns reverse data.

so when I check your IP and hostname you send me and when this do not match=
=20
the reverse info I get I can suppose you do not have good intentions or you=
=20
do not have the knowledge to set your network up. Both cases may not be=20
welcome on my network and you get kicked out. Like you see here the decisio=
n=20
is the owner's one who can or not enter his home.

so reverse dns is a absolute valid check - what never was so important as=20
today since each newborn already knows how to fake IP's

and when your residential Ip provider do not has a correct reverse DNS get=
=20
yourself a more serious one

anyway, you are mixing things up since you do not need a valid reverse dns =
to=20
configure your sshd, the server admin can disable this lookup or use the=20
local host file - or you may like the "clever way" and forget to set or=20
delete your resolv.conf=20

Jo=E3o