Date:      Sat, 11 Apr 1998 20:09:25 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        rotel@indigo.ie
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ld: internal error: allocated set symbol space (2) doesn't match actual (6)

> I've been working on isolating a simple test case that might be more
> useful than the output from ldd -v, (though you're still welcome to
> that, or the source/binaries) I've appended it to this mail.
>
> If you compile it with egcs-current without -DGLOBAL then all cases
> work, if you compile with -DGLOBAL then it won't link for cases A
> and D, it links but dumps core before main() for cases B and E and
> case C works fine.

Aha!  Thanks very much for the test case.  It clears up a lot of
things.  This is actually an assembler bug.  It just so happens that I
committed a fix for it a few days ago.  Get the latest assembler from
-current, and you will find that this problem is gone.  The fix is in
revision 1.6 of src/gnu/usr.bin/as/config/obj-aout.c.

John