Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 10:54:56 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sam Pigg <sam@redbacknetworks.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: tyan S1836DLUAN >512Mb problems

more data I probably should've included-

the new memory I'm using is from the tyan approved/tested vendor list
for this motherboard (dense-pac 256 Meg ECC SDRAM dimms)

The cpu's are both PII-450's, and should not have any issues with
 >512 megs.

The loading of the system I'm doing uses thousands of processes, which
I can run more of with 512M than 1Gig. ie it fires off the processes
slowly until it runs out of physical ram and then moves through swap
when using 512M, with 1Gig, it freezes when it gets down to
350-255 megs free of physical ram. Tried juggling the new dimms
around to different dimm slots, to no avail.

I have a difficult time believing its a memory bus loading issue
as this is ram thats actually been tested at tyan.

Also have logs of vmstat -i -s -m and 'top' taken every second
while loading up the processes before the system freeze, that show no
apparent resource starvation going on.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-Sam