Date:      Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:55:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com (Matthew Dillon)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: kern/subr_scanf array index of signed char

Matthew Dillon writes:
> :>    Actually, it could very well be that I don't.  I didn't want to spend
> :>    the time to check to see if the compiler warned on unsigned-char array
> :>    indexes.  You can change it back if unsigned char array indexes do not
> :>    produce a warning.
> :
> :Sloppy thinking.  How would you know if you fixed the bug unless you checked
> :that you fixed the bug instead of breaking the warning?  The bug was that
> :on systems with signed chars, *inp gave negative array indexes if the
> :caller passes a format string with negative characters in certain positions.
> :There are still lots of related isfoo(*inp) bugs.  All these bugs are more
> :serious in the userland.
> :
> :Bruce
>
>    Oh come on, give me some credit -- I knew I fixed the bug by casting
>    it to unsigned char.  But after spending over 8 hours working the
>    files over so people compiling the kernel don't get overwhelmed
>    with warnings I was getting a bit fermented in the chair.

I know how you feel Matt. After I did a bunch of -Wunused fixes
(literally over a hundred files) the responses I got contained a
couple of positive comments, one 'stop touching my code!', and one
nit picky email long on criticism and short on constructivity.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead! :-)

Actually I think most people are just very 'interested' .. and
justifiably so .. it just comes across the wrong way sometimes.

-Archie