Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 1996 19:59:09 +1030 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        abeater@earthlink.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: server software

abeater@earthlink.net stands accused of saying:

> I am in the process of setting up servers to provide internet access.
>
> And a looking for server software to run on multiple machines at
> separate locations.
>
> What is your product?

FreeBSD.

> What does it do?

It's an operating system.

> what are it's features...ftp, customer registration, maximums, minimums?

It's a true Unix (as much as any system can claim such), widely considered
to be the fastest Unix on Intel hardware.  The standard distribution comes
packaged with many precompiled applications ideally suited for use on an
Internet Service Provider.

At the minimum end, it is possible to run it on a 386sx16 with 4M of memory;
at the opposite end of the spectrum are systems such as ftp.cdrom.com
with 512M of memory and 72G of disk, supporting over 500 simultaneous users.

FreeBSD also boasts binary compatability with BSD/OS 2.0, meaning that all
of the Nescape webserver products run, as well as a number of user
accounting packages.

> What does it cost?

If you're willing to FTP it, it's free.  Walnut Creek sell it on CD; I'd
start at http://www.freebsd.org/ and follow from there.