Date:      Mon, 02 Apr 2001 14:08:03 -0700
From:      Kevin Lister <kevin@kevster.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.2-stable installs, but does not boot

Hi gang,

I've been considering starting a small ISP. I planned to use FreeBSD for
the servers, since I can't afford Sun Enterprise servers. :o)

I would like to play around with the OS a bit, but I can't get it to
boot. It appears to install fine, but after exiting the config tool at
the end of the install, it reboots and then fails with:

/kernel text=0x26e45f -
elf_loadexec: archsw.readin failed
Unable to load kernel:
Aborted!

Anyone else seeing this problem. Please let me know how you fixed it, if
so. I suppose I am possibly misconfiguring something during the install
process, but the install does appear to occur, the system just doesn't
boot.

Why do ISP's use FreeBSD over, say, RedHat Linux?

Is FreeBSD widely used in the ISP space?

thanks,

kev