Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 06:29:03 +0200
From:      Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock@gmx.net>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dvdrip error

The following is an OpenPGP/MIME signed message
created by Enigmail/Mozilla, following RFC 2440 and RFC 2015
--------------enig60F6A1BF3AA78AB78495E1CA

Conrad Sabatier wrote:
> On 16-Jun-2002 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>
>>Conrad Sabatier wrote:
>>
>>>On 15-Jun-2002 Michael Nottebrock wrote:
>>>
>>>Yes, after much trial-and-error with divx4 encoding, both inside dvdrip
>>>and at the command line, I came to the conclusion that it just plain
>>>wasn't going to work.  :-)
>>>
>>>Seems strange, when transcode does include divx4 and divx5 output
>>>modules.
>>
>>Well the output modules of transcode are open source and thus, ported
>>and present. :) They depend on the encoders from DivX Networks, though,
>>which only come as precompiled shared libaries for Linux.
>

> Ah, I see.  I mistakenly thought that was what the libdivxencore-devel port
> was for.
>
> Is Divx4 a proprietary format, then?  I hadn't realized this.

Yes, as is DivX5. libdivxencore/decore in the ports constitute the
OpenDivX-codec.

It's all a little confusing: OpenDivX is an open source codec developed
by DivX Networks. DivX4 and 5 are based on this codec, but they are
proprietary and closed source. Xvid is also based on OpenDivX, but is
open source (the opendivx-parts are released under the OpenDivX license,
additions are released under the GPL). To further add to the confusion,
all these codecs more or less share the same API and OpenDivX and DivX
even have conflicting includes. The good thing about this is, that Xvid
output is (at the moment) compatible with anything that can playback DivX4.

Regards,
--
Michael Nottebrock
"The circumstance ends uglily in the cruel result." - Babelfish

--------------enig60F6A1BF3AA78AB78495E1CA