Date:      Fri, 12 Dec 1997 23:32:29 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Leonard <leonardc9@usa.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No defragmentation software needed?

>Why is it that with FreeBSD, I don't have to run any defragmenting
>utilities on the hard drive now and then?  I keep thinking that
>defragmentation should be a concern, but I remember being told that FreeBSD
>takes care of that for me.

   Two answers... Answer #1: Yes, 4.4BSD-lite comes with extensions to
FFS that do on-the-fly defragmentation of the filesystem. Answer #2:
Unfortunately, due to bugs in (1), we disabled the extensions and although
the original bug that caused the problems was fixed, the code has since
fallen into a state of incompleteness. We'll need to fix this before it
can be re-enabled.

-DG

David Greenman