Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 1997 08:18:52 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@progroup.com>
To:        scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2940 and ncr target problems re: HELP!! ST32155W - Not detected during probing!!

Hi!,

>  I solved the problem thanks to suggestions I  received. Thank you!!
>
>  The problem was that there was a clash of SCSI ID'ss. CDROM I use (Matsushita
> 8X) supposed to come with factory preset SCSI ID#6 and the Hard Disk at
> #0. What has happened was that Gateway people seemed to have changed the CDROM
> ID to #0. (I've NO idea why). Fortunately 'cos HD is SCAM compliant, 2940uw
> automatically detects the conflict and assigns HD #15. This works for
> Win95. But not for FreeBSD. So I changed the CDROM SCSI ID back to #6 and now
> everything is OK!!
>
> Best Regards,
> Ajith.

I believe this may point out a significant problem with the driver for
the
2940W and most likely the ncr also.  I have tried to use a wide drive on
the ncr825 and 875 at a target id greater than 7.  It would not work.  I
am not sure of the exact reason, but after seeing the problems Ajith
had,
I believe there is a bug in the drivers.

I went through the ncr.c source for the 2.1.6 driver and saw in every
instance, that the target id was being masked with the literal '7' which
is '111'b.  This only allows a total of 8 targets on the board.  The
wide
controllers physically allow up to 16 targets.  That would be a mask of
'1111'b, or 15, or 017, or 0x0f.  Of course target 7 is usually reserved
for
the target id of the controller hba itself.

Am I wrong?  Is anyone using a higher target id with these device
drivers?

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088