Date:      Tue, 27 Jul 2004 01:26:37 -0300
From:      Joey Mingrone <joey@mingrone.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   acpi on asus m6n

Hi,

I'm sending this message after reading the "Using and Debugging FreeBSD ACPI"
section in the handbook.

My system is an Asus M6800N running BIOS version 0209A.
The output from uname -a is:
FreeBSD karlsruhe.mingrone.org 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 #3:
Sat Jul 17 20:27:38 ADT 2004
root@karlsruhe.mingrone.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/KARLSRUHE_MINGRONE_ORG_2004-07-17
i386

Description of the buggy behavior:
- no battery status
- suspend to S3 often works (with lots of errors in syslog) but it sometimes
doesn't (network interfaces won't come back up and on rare occasions the
system will lock up)
- suspend to S4 works, but resuming doesn't.  Hitting keys doesn't bring the
system back up and hitting the power button causes a reboot with warning
messages about the filesystems not being properly dismounted.
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff="0" in /boot/loader.conf doesn't seem to make any
difference.
- DPMS works to turn the monitor off some of the time, and on occasion the
monitor will turn off while I'm working (I have it set to turn the monitor
off after 15 minutes of inactivity)

Output from "sysctl hw.acpi'':
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 5
hw.acpi.s4bios: 0
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff: 1
hw.acpi.reset_video: 1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_supported: C2/1
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: 0
hw.acpi.cpu.cx_history: 30977197/0
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 30
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 3312
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 3732
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3782
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
hw.acpi.acline: -1
hw.acpi.battery.life: -1
hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
hw.acpi.battery.state: 7
hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5

See http://mingrone.org/m6n for:
ASL (acpidump -t -d):
boot -v output
asl compile errors

This Linux patch (which doesn't patch the ASL cleanly) might be helpful:
http://www.tzi.de/~adieling/asusm6n-acpi/

I think that's everything.
I'm going to play with the ASL and if I come up with any improvements I'll
post a diff here.

Also, I hope I didn't scare anyone away who was considering this system.
5.2.1p#9 runs quite well on it.  ..nice screen, gigabit network adapter and
802.11b/g works with NDISulator.

Joey