Date:      Sun, 24 Aug 1997 19:52:59 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Ray Campbell <goalie19@idt.net>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Starting up with FreeBSD

At 09:56 PM 8/24/97 -0500, Ray Campbell wrote:
>Hey everybody... I just read the entire web page for FreeBSD
>(http://www.freebsd.org) and was just wondering a few things.
>1) How much space does one need for the OS, including mainly the
>developement tools, (C/C++ compiler, and the editors...)

The gnu compilers are included in the basic bin distribution, as are vi,
ed, and ee, and probably a few others. Someone on the list just said that
the basic bin distribution is 100mb, but its possbile (but difficult) to
trim it down to 40mb.

>2) Does anyone have a dial-up script out there for SLIP/PPP users such
>as myself?  I'd like to be able to dial my ISP from inside FreeBSD (is
>this possible)

That depends on your ISP. Check out www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp for PPP
setup info.

>3) I plan on using the FreeBSD OS for MUD (Multi User Dungeon)
>developement...Is there any special settings I need for FreeBSD to
>include in certain (the PICO editor, grep, and the GNU Compiler) Or are
>these Standard?

Grep and the gnu compilers are standard, but PICO you'd have to get
separately. There may be a port/package for it.

>4) I also noticed that there was something called X Windows, is this
>another actuall OS that you can run from inside FreeBSD in order to see
>graphics, or is it just sorta there to help lynx out a bit?

X Windows is a graphical windowing shell which runs on FreeBSD. It puts a
nice interface on things and lets you run stuff like Netscape, Doom, and
other graphical programs.

>I'm pretty new with FreeBSD, but I see the potential is definatley there
>for it to be a great OS for myself, I hope that someone can help me out
>with my questions
>
>    Thanks...
>        --Ray

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@bigfoot.com   ICQ UIN: 692441   http://chipweb.home.ml.org
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page     ^-- Updated 07/01/97