Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 10:30:14 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        dyson@freefall.freebsd.org (John Dyson)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is nullfs broken in -current?

> All of the layered filesystem stuff is slated to be fixed for 2.2.  I am
> too busy right now to even look at it right now because of that irritating
> Sig-11 problem.   The VFS layering needs work (and even in the original
> 4.4Lite stuff was "not good".)  The getpage/putpage stuff is the first
> step in the fixes.  (Other things include proper NFS locking -- right now
> NFS doesn't VOP_LOCK at all!!!)

I agree that the layering is quite broken.  Most of the code that came
from the BSD 4.4Lite and Lite2 distributions and implements the file
system framework itself is bad.  In general, the implementation is one
that assumes static linking while the architecture is one that assumes
dynamic.

Basically, there should not be a static dependence on the size of the
function tables that is caused by the first initialization setting the
table size rather than a sizeof operation on a NULL-filled table.  All
file systems, static or otherwise, should use the same registration
procedure.

The NFS locking is currently being worked on.  The last report I heard
was that it was to the point of being able to take and ignore all
requests, such that Sun machines wuit their bitching.  I've rolled
some additional fixes for handle-to-open-file-instance conversion
using a callback registration mechanism only when NFS is loaded.

The getpage/putpage stuff doesn't seem to be a particularly profound
change for anything but the page management, which is as it should be,
considering the file system framework still wants to be able to share
the majority of code between FreeBSD/NetBSD/Other systems.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.