Date:      Wed, 8 Sep 1999 07:29:48 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@iaces.com>
To:        reichman@twcny.rr.com (Mark S. Reichman)
Cc:        proot@iaces.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dhcpd lease time-outs

In a previous message, Mark S. Reichman said:
> So.. Are you saying as my ip changes dhcpd V3 will update
> DNS with my new ip so folks can telnet, ftp, etc
> to my hostname even though my ip is not fixed?

Yep, from the web page, http://www.isc.org/view.cgi?/products/DHCP/dhcp-v3.phtml:

Version 3 of the ISC DHCP Distribution adds conditional behaviour,
address pools with access control, and client classing.  An interim
implementation of dynamic DNS updates for the server only is included,
but is not supported.  The README file contains information about how
to enable this - it is not compiled into the DHCP server by default.

> If this is true, how could one tell if their local
> Road Runner is running a dhcpd with this type of
> support?

It would have to be version 3 with the code compiled in. It seems
that this code was only released to beta within the last couple weeks.
It's doubtful you are running it.

--
"It's a real downer."

--The Alabama state textbook committee, trying to explain why they
  recommended that the "The Diary of Anne Frank" be banned from the
  state's public school libraries, 1983.