Date:      Wed, 2 Jul 2003 10:51:21 -0400
From:      Val Smith <vmsmith@grokking.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sound oddity in FreeBSD 5.1

Not sure if this will actually help you but I recall thinking my sound wasn't working after a recent KDE install. Turned out that it was simply installing the desktop without explicit sound assignments for system events (so it merely seemed like sound wasn't working, yet no pop up errors when KDE first started - not what I was used to with default RH installs in times past).

First verify that arts is being started automatically (under control center -> sounds/multimedia -> sound system) While there try the "test sound" button. Then if everything looks okay go to control center -> sounds/multimedia -> system notifications and assign/test specific sounds for whatever events you want.

Hope the answer to your problem is this simple :)

VS