Date:      Tue, 14 Mar 2000 14:21:17 +0100
From:      Sascha Blank <blank@uni-trier.de>
To:        ctm-announce@freebsd.org
Subject:   Anyone interested in a CTM delta from src-cur to src-4?

Hello,

I'm writing this also on behalf of Chuck Robey, our current CTM meister.
As you have already noticed the "CURRENT" tree has just split a few days
ago creating a new branch "RELENG_4" where all future FreeBSD 4.x
development will take place on.

Speaking in CTM terms the "CURRENT" branch is represented by the
"src-cur" deltas, while the newly born "RELENG_4" branch will be
represented by the "src-4" deltas that will soon start to appear.

Many users have followed "CURRENT" over the last weeks or months with
the intention to switch to "RELENG_4" as soon as it will be created.
While this is no big problem for those who keep their sources up to date
using CVSup, it becomes an unsurmountable problem for users who have
followed "src-cur" by CTM so far: there is no other way to go from
"src-cur" to "src-4" than removing /usr/src completely and rebuilding it
using the first src-4.0001xEmpty delta that will soon become available.
For most CTM users this is of course no option as this delta will be
over 60MB large (already compressed with gzip).

One easy way to solve the problem would be a special delta that turns a
src-cur tree into a src-4 tree the following way:

a) You have kept up your /usr/src tree with the src-cur CTM deltas up to
a certain, well defined delta number, let's say #4275.

b) You would apply that special delta "src-cur.4275-src-4.0001" (or
something similar) on /usr/src.

c) You now have a /usr/src tree that corresponds to the state of the
src-4.0001xEmpty delta, so that you can keep it up to date with all
coming src-4 deltas.

I have talked to Chuck Robey about this idea.  He says it's possible and
he's willing to take on the effort of creating such a delta if there is
enough interest.

Therefore I'm asking all of you who are interested in such a delta to
drop me a _short_ note.  I will collect all those notes and tell Chuck
about the outcome.

Given the fact that there's enough interest there will be annother
announcement on this list to tell you the exact CTM src-cur delta number
your src-tree has to correspond to be able to apply that delta.  It's
important not to pass by that number as there is no easy way to back out
already applied deltas out of a src-tree.

Bye.

--
             Sascha Blank            | FreeBSD -
   Student and System Administrator  |     that's where you want to go today!